Singaraja or North Bali, it was the Old Dutch capital is the world on the other side of the mountains. It was also once Bali's main harbor but in recent years the harbor has become silted up as it has been shifted west to the more sheltered Labuan Celukbawang for the major export and import business. The north coast of Bali has been inhabited for centuries with local villages mentioned in the 10th century inscriptions, the ascendancy of the area only really began at the end of the 16th century, when Ki Gusti Ngurah Panji Sakti founded Buleleng, and in 1604 built a new palace called Singaraja. Buleleng has a rugged and, in places, dramatic landscape, as the northern flanks of the mountains drop steeply towards long, sweeping black-sand beaches. The land is dry and parched towards the east, where villages are widely spread out and the lava flows from the last eruption of mount Agung are still visible. Most tourists however come to the north for the burgeoning beach resort of LOVINA, west of Singaraja, a great place to relax or to use as a base for exploring the temples, hot springs and inland scenery of the region.